A service system is a type of organizational system of systems, which may generate one or several services. The smallest service system is a single person, whereas the largest is the total global economy. Such a service system is essentially a social–technical system for delivering services using all available means to realize value for both provider and consumer. It can also be a composition of numerous collaboratively connected service systems within and/or across organizations.
There are several definitions of a service system. Here are three of them:
- Service systems represent value co-creation configuration of people, technology, value propositions connecting internal and external service systems, and shared information (e.g. language, laws, measures, and methods), like an assemblage of unites entities by some form of regular interactions and interdependencies.
- Service systems can be represented as real networks, in which the same entities combine their strength through direct and indirect connectivity, as they are oriented toward enduring competitiveness and daily interactions with other external interdependent service systems.
- Service systems are dynamic value co-creation configurations of resources (people, organizations, shared information, and technology), where at least one resource is an operant resource, specifically a person with rights, and capable of interacting and judging outcomes.
- A Generic Service System Activity Model with Event-Driven Operation Reconfiguring Capability (Authors: Theodor Borangiu Monica Drăgoicea Virginia Ecaterina Oltean Iulia Iacob Published In: SOHOMA'13 Service Orientation in Holonic and Multi Agent Manufacturing and Robotics Publication Date: 2014)
- A Service Science Knowledge Environment in the Cloud (Authors: Monica Dragoicea Theodor Borangiu Published In: SOHOMA'12 Service Orientation in Holonic and Multi Agent Manufacturing and Robotics Publication Date: 2013)
- Building an Extended Ontological Perspective on Service Science (Authors: Monica Drăgoicea Theodor Borangiu João Falcão e Cunha Virginia Ecaterina Oltean José Faria Ştefan Rădulescu Published In: Exploring Services Science 2014 Publication Date: 2014)
- Computational Thinking of Service Systems: Dynamics and Adaptiveness Modeling (Authors: Robin G. Qiu Published In: Journal of Service Science (INFORMS) Publication Date: 2009)
- Exploring Service Science IESS 15 (Authors: Theodor Borangiu Monica Drăgoicea Henriqueta Nóvoa Publication Date: January 2015)
- Exploring Service Science IESS 16 (Authors: Theodor Borangiu Monica Drăgoicea Henriqueta Nóvoa Publication Date: April 2016)
- Exploring Services Science 2014 (Editors: Mehdi Snene Michel Leonard Publication Date: 2014)
- On value and value co-creation: A service systems and service logic perspective (Authors: Stephen L. Vargo Paul P. Maglio Melissa Archpru Akaka Published In: European Management Journal, 26, 145– 152 Publication Date: 2008)
- Onto-ServSys: A Service System Ontology (Authors: Manuel Mora Mahesh Raisinghani Ovsei Gelman Miguel Angel Sicilia Editors: Haluk Demirkan Jim Spohrer Vikas Krishna Published In: The Science of Service Systems Publication Date: 2011)
- SOHOMA'13 Service Orientation in Holonic and Multi Agent Manufacturing and Robotics (Editors: Theodor Borangiu Andre Thomas Damien Trentesaux Publication Date: 2014)
- Service Science (Spohrer) (Authors: Jim Spohrer Laura C. Anderson Norman J. Pass Tryg Ager Daniel Gruhl Published In: Journal of Grid Computing Publication Date: 2008)
- Service system fundamentals: Work system, value chain, and life cycle (Authors: Steven Alter Published In: IBM Systems Journal Publication Date: 2008)
- Smart Service Systems and Viable Service Systems: Applying Systems Theory to Service Science (Authors: Sergio Barile Francesco Polese Published In: Journal of Service Science (INFORMS) Publication Date: 2010)
- Some Aspects Concerning a Generic Service Process Model Building (Authors: Theodor Borangiu Virginia Ecaterina Oltean Monica Drǎgoicea João Falcão e Cunha Iulia Iacob Published In: Exploring Services Science 2014 Publication Date: 2014)
- Steps Toward a Science of Service Systems (Authors: Jim Spohrer Paul P. Maglio John Bailey Daniel Gruhl Published In: Computer Publication Date: 2007)
- The service system is the basic abstraction of service science (Authors: Paul P. Maglio Stephen L. Vargo Nathan Caswell Jim Spohrer Published In: Proceedings (41): Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences Publication Date: 2009)
- Toward a Science of Service Systems (Authors: Jim Spohrer Paul P. Maglio Published In: Handbook of Service Science Publication Date: 2010)
- Towards Service Science, Engineering and Practice (Authors: Robin G. Qiu Zhigeng Fang Huizhang Shen Ming Yu Published In: International Journal of Services Operations and Informatics Publication Date: 2007)